If you’re unsure what voice search is or how it works then you’re in the right place. This is our beginners’ guide to voice search.
Voice search is the buzz term of the moment in the tech and search engine optimisation (SEO) industry. The merits of voice search are continually being debated, and lots of questions asked:
- What exactly is voice search?
- Is voice search here to stay?
- Should you be optimising for voice search?
- How do you optimise for voice search?
What is voice search?
Techopedia defines it as:
“Voice search is a speech recognition technology that allows a user to perform a search via a voice command. Although designed to be a software application, voice search also may be used as a service by smartphones and other small Web-enabled devices. Voice search is also known as voice-enabled search.”
Put simply, you ask your voice-enabled device, such as your smartphone or smart speaker, a search query and it scours the internet for the best answer and speaks it back to you.
Is voice search here to stay?
In short, yes! Voice search is not a fad. Here are a few statistics to prove that voice search is here to stay:
- There were over a billion voice searches per month in 2018
- 41% of adults and 55% of teens are using voice search daily
- Smart speaker sales reached 75 million in 2018
- It’s predicted that by 2020, 50% of all searches will be voice searches
The tech is on the rise, helped by digital assistants in mobile phones such as Google’s Assistant, Apple’s Siri and now with the increase of smart home hubs such as Google’s Home, Amazon’s Alexa and Apple’s HomePod to name a few.
Should you be optimising for voice search?
Given all of the evidence above, yes!
Marketers are slowly starting to realise the need to make sure that voice search is taken into consideration when planning and creating content. By embracing voice search now, you can start to gain a competitive edge over your competitors.
How Do You Optimise Content For Voice Search?
Ah, the golden question. We already know that voice search takes information from a website and relays it back to the end-user.
That’s why the content on your website needs to provide the best answer to the users’ search query for it to be chosen as the featured result. As you can imagine, the competition can be quite fierce.
So, where do we start?
The first thing to do is to download our complete voice search optimisation guide.
In the guide you will discover:
- How voice search works and how the results are decided.
- Essential voice search keyword research, including examples.
- Suggested keyword research tools – use the tools the professionals use.
- How to optimise for featured snippets.
- The importance of site speed
- The impact of local search
- And so much more including helpful key takeaways from each section.